Wednesday, August 29, 2012

8 Questions To An Entrepreneur: Robert McEwen.


 Questions To An Entrepreneur this week is Robert McEwen Jr.!

Robert McEwen is a licensed barber and the owner and operator of New Vision Barber Shop in Chicago, IL. Robert was born and raised in Chicago. During  high school, he developed a desire to draw and be very creative. It was during this time that he became interested in haircutting and art designs.  After high school, Robert took  jobs  in the commercial industry as a laborer and fork lift driver. After one year,he found himself unemployed and started cutting hair at home for extra income. He built a small clientele. But,  he still needed money and found his way back into the workforce doing "back breaking work to provide a stable lifestyle" for himself. After seeing that that career was going nowhere, in 1994 Robert enrolled in Cain Barber College. He knew then that becoming a barber was the path he wanted to take. Robert worked at Bull Eyes Barber Shop for 6 1/2 years.  In 2001, Robert says "he was blessed to open his own shop."  
  

Here are my 8 Questions to An Entrepreneur: Robert McEwen Jr. 


1. Give me the 411 on your company or what you do.
New Vision Barber shop is a cutting edge facility that provides excellent barber/beauty and spa services.  As a licensed professional barber, I specialize in precision haircuts and razor linings. We offer a clean and family friendly atmosphere that has been a pillar in our community for the past 10 years. New Vision Barber Shop has an awesome reputation that it is the place to come and enjoy a day with strong black professionals. Not only is its success responsible to that but also through the help of God who has carried it to the level of success we have today.

2. There are probably a thousand people providing your products and/or services, how do you stand out in a crowd?
 We stand out in a crowd because of our professional character and our excellent haircuts and design skills. I believe that our attention to detail and the respect that we show our clients will definitely be recognized. 
   3. What is the most exciting thing that has happened to you since you started?
 By far the most exciting thing that has happened since I opened is, I had the opportunity  to win a soul to Christ right in my barber chair.
4. What was your lowest point and how did you rise above it?
The lowest point was when I had to let someone go because of their lack of drive to be better and to provide a quality service to the client.
5. Tell me about your best product or service?
 Well since I am a barber, it its my haircuts and razor linings but I also do designs and eyebrows.
6. Do you still work a traditional job? If not, will you return? Why or why not?
No, I don't work a traditional job. I opted out for a career. I don't feel I'll ever return to the work force of traditional employment because I feel that this is what God has for me. I never want to punch a clock anymore. I love the fact that I can make my own schedule and not worry about being laid off or anything that will threaten my livelihood.
 7. What are 5 things someone must do to be a successful entrepreneur?
1. Be passionate about what you are pursuing.
2. Research, research, research the field you plan on entering.
3. Surround yourself with positive people that are successful in the field your interested in.
4. Plan to work harder for yourself than you ever worked for someone else.
5. Always look to improve your business no matter how successful it becomes

8. What encouragement would you give to someone wanting to start a business?
It's a HUGH world of opportunity out here and there is plenty of room for you to achieve greatness in business. Just look up and not down.  Keep moving and never stop.  Keep rising and never let falls keep you grounded. I believe you can make it because I did. I believe you are successful because you dare to dream.  This world is full of people just like you who one day woke up and said, "I want to start something that feel in my heart." If you feel it in your heart then it will become a reality. Just work the plan and the plan will work.  Be blessed, see you in Forbes!

There you have it! 8 Questions to An Entrepreneur: Robert McEwen Jr.! 
Robert and I graduated from  high school together. We reconnected on Facebook a few years ago. It is so exciting to see my classmate Robert is living out his dreams!
New Vision Barber Shop is located at 9360 South Halsted Street  Chicago, IL 60620.  The phone number to the shop is, (773) 238-6533.  Like New Vision Barber Shop on Facebook.
A picture is worth a thousand words!  As you can see, Robert and his team at New Vision Barber Shop are masters at what they do. Go check him out! When you get there, tell Robert you saw him on the blogs

Blessings and More Blessings to you! 

Cherise Ward-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment